Sunday, November 21, 2010

They say Blue Jays are mean


I think I've captured that :)

This is a 12 x 12 wooden canvas that I had applied texture medium to and planned to do an abstract painting on. Well, those are much harder to do when you set out to do them, it seems (for me anyway) it's easier to do them by accident.

I decided to just paint a Blue Jay design from one of my Ros Stallcup books. I was lucky enough to attend two of her painting seminars in Virginia Beach years ago and we mostly painted fruit and florals so it was fun to try something different.

Hoping to get to Michaels today, we have a touch of snow on the ground but hopefully roads are just fine.

Hope you're all having a nice weekend and doing what you enjoy surrounded by those that make you smile :)

14 comments:

WrightStuff said...

He may be mean but he's also awfully pretty with it! He probably gets away with loads but turning on the charm!

Unknown said...

WOW!!! Love that painting!! Okay Darla, when are your seminars available, cause I'm driving to paint with ya!LOL

Micki Wilde said...

Beautiful painting Darla!!

Vanilla said...

Oh how beautiful! Love the intense colours and the textures, looks so realistic!

Cori Lynn Berg said...

You know, "they" say the same thing about the French.. but I choose to make up my own mind! :)

Love your jay!

Cathy Bueti said...

Darla this is great! So amazing!! Love the texture and the bird is so realistic it looks like a picture!

And I had to chuckle when I read what you wrote about the abstract painting! I can so relate! :)

Manon said...

I love this piece, Darla!! I see them all the time and they are beautiful birds. Your work is terrific!!

Yasmin said...

Beautiful work dear friend.. your little bird seems to be alive and the any hour to leave flying.
xoxo
yasmin

Rona Gregory said...

Hi Darla! This is beautiful! I love the texture, and the colors are spot on!

Funny, I went to Michaels when I was in Thunder Bay this week, bought some moulding paste and experimented for the first time with it today! I've never done textures before - liked it lots! LOL!

Have a great week - happy painting!

Ro xx

Unknown said...

oh wow!!! they may be mean but they are beautiful....wonderful painting Darla!!!! you are amazing!!!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

He may be mean..but he is also beautiful!

Kristin said...

You. Are. Fabulous!!!
WHAT an amazing blog and such beautiful artwork - I am so impressed and inspired by you!
Thank you for becoming a follower - right back at ya, xo

Diane said...

You learned well from Ros (love her paintings and her books), but I have a feeling that this comes very natural for you--you make it look easy!

Giovanna said...

Such a beautiful painting Darla! I love the colors!

Ps: I'd like to invite you to participate on a beautiful giveaway that I'm hosting on my blog! Here's the link:
Boho Market Giveaway

Thank you!!!
Hope you're having a lovely day!
xo
Giovanna