Friday, November 5, 2010

My first 'realistic' portrait attempt


This is little Caitlyn. Her picture was included in the reference photos for use in creating the whimsical 'couture' painting I just did. She is 9 now, but I absolutely loved this photo of her as a toddler. I wanted to push myself to try doing a portrait that actually would resemble an original portrait photo. I'm pleased with my first attempt, even though I know she's not perfect nor 100% accurate :) It's a start!


I'm going to give this to Caitlyn's mom, even though it was practice, I'm hoping she'll enjoy having it.

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYBODY!

Darla

12 comments:

Vicki Holdwick said...

Darla,

This is really nice. I can't believe it is just practice. I'm looking forward to seeing your next one.

xoxo

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Gorgeous Darla and I am sure her mom is going to be thrilled!
I think you are way beyond practice Darla, this is a lovely portrait by any standards!
Tina xo

Rona Gregory said...

Darla this if great! You've really captured her well! Isn't it a great feeling to 'have a first go' and get such a lovely result?

Well done you xxxx

Cathy Bueti said...

Wow Darla!! This is amazing! Great work! (And I wouldn't have known it was a first attempt!

I am sure her mom will love to have it!

:)

Unknown said...

Oh Darla, it's gorgeous! And so is your subject ;-)

Robin said...

Fantastic ...great portrait..!Adorable..!

Kelly Berkey said...

darla, you did a fantastic job! you were able to capture her personality and sweetness in this. her mom is going to cry! xoxo

Ch said...

As you all may have guessed, her mommy loved it AND her mommy cried. It's absolutely beautiful and dead-on. Darla has captured Caitlyn's look perfectly!

Ch said...

Caitlyn's mommy has seen Darla's newest undertaking and loves it! Caitlyn's mommy also cried ~ surprise, surprise. Darla captured Caitlyn's somber personality perfectly. (Caitlyn isn't usually a somber child). I think it's absolutely perfect!

Marie S said...

Wow I think you did very well Darla.
Way to go.
Have a great weekend.

Diane said...

You are inspiring Darla!!

Nicola said...

Wow Darla, I can't believe this is your first attempt!! She is gorgeous and I'm sure her mum will love her, lovely lovely work :0)