Saturday, September 26, 2009

Some sketches and a son brag :)

I've been trying to come up with little girl characters. I did 7 little 5 x 7 watercolors this past week and I really enjoyed them. They are now at the craft show going on so if they don't sell, I'll be sure to show you later.





Sorry, this little girl got blurry!


I just love the big shoes!

Ok, here's the part where I brag about my son. Excuse me but I'm so proud!
Derek attended a year at a Tech school right after he graduated from high school and he was going to get his degree in Commercial Art. He has such talent and he's such a perfectionist. UNLIKE his mother, LOL! Anyway, I remember the day he called me and said, 'Mom, I like to draw and stuff but I really don't think I want to do it 8 hours a day!' He longed for a job that would take him outside. He quit school and since then has gotten married, had 3 beautiful children and is part owner of Agassiz Drain Tile He's done well, but man oh man, I wish he had the time to draw again. It's more important he's doing what he loves though and that's working outside! He loves it! He's also a volunteer fireman, I couldn't be more proud♥

Here's a sketch he did back in February of 1998. I know there's a name for the technique but I can't recall. It's done with tiny dots and dashes. Isn't it amazing? I just love it!
He's the TRUE artist in the family and I just hope someday when he's older he will find the extra time to use his talents to create again :)

12 comments:

Micki Wilde said...

I love the noses that you did on those little girl's!

Your son does seem to have quite a talent, that picture is amazing!
My brother is far more artistic than me but does nothing with it, instead he happily works in insurance, go figure?

Micki x

CMZ Art/ Rustic Goth said...

Your sketches are wonderful and your son is truly talented.
I have found that my children with talents have to kind of 'find their way back' to their talent in their own time.
One of my sons is a very talented writer and has won many awards for it. He has done so many different jobs and has recently gone back to the University to finish his education with writing for movies and theatre as his main focus. It's hard to suppress true talent for long:)

Anna Rosa Designs said...

Hi Darla,
You're little gal sketches are very cute. I also like the big shoes.
OMG< Your son is sooo talented!
I too hope he has time some day soon to get back into sketching.
There are definately artistic genes running in your family.
Hugs,
Anna

Annette Q said...

Your son is incredibly talented! just like his mum :-)

Nicola said...

Oh wow that is amazing!!! I can see why you want him to take up drawing again! You never know he might come full circle one day and decide he wants to do something with his art again. I went to art school when I was 18 and I really wish I'd taken some time out first before I went as I didn't have the passion or the drive that I have now. I think the word you are looking for is 'pointalism' (I've probably spelt that wrong.) I used to like to do that but I've become far to impatient and now like to slap the paint on my mum loves pointalism. Love your little girls too, those shoes are so cute!!!!! Can't wait to see them full of colour!

Unknown said...

sweet girlies...and...what a talent your son is! His sketch is amazing. Beautiful!

Unknown said...

Hi Darla,
I simply ADOOOOOORE your new sketches! They are sooo cute, love them! Your son is incredibly talented!!! I mean it, his portrait is simply fantastic!!!!
Have a wonderful Sunday, lots of love,
Sanda xx

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Wow - your son's art if fantastic! And your girls?? I LOVE them - they have the most beautiful hair and I adore the big feet! Soo cute! Keep up the great posts and you have every right to be a proud Mom- and he should be a proud SON :-)

Lori Allberry said...

Oh my goodnesssssss Darlaaaaaaaaaa, your new girls, the halo girl, oh my, I'm in love with her, and Derek's drawing!!!!!! Wowzers, wozers, wowzers, it's AMAZING!!!!!! "We all know where he got his talent"!!!

♥Lori

Serena Lewis said...

Talent sure does run in your family, Darla. Your little girl sketches are adorable! The tiny dot art is called 'Pointillism'. What a beautiful portrait your son did....I hope he finds time to include art in his life ~ :)

Anonymous said...

This is awsome, just proves how gifted you are!

Tara @ Aquamarine Art said...

Wow Darla, he is very talented! Runs in the family obviously! No wonder you are proud. :) x